Categories: beef, chicken, fish & seafood, lamb & pork, game meats, vegetables, eggs, breads, pastries, cakes, cookies & desserts, side & other dishes.
- Spinach Sausage Lasagna
- Use the second recipe, which calls for a mix of beef and hot Italian sausage. Remove casing from sausage before cooking. Use a yellow onion, about half. Add any spices you might like to the tomato sauce. Be sure to dry the frozen spinach very, very thoroughly before adding it, or you will have a wet lasagna. Absolutely use real Parmesan. Broil for about 5 minutes after cooking to brown the cheese on top.
- White Castle Hamburger Pie
- Fairly salty recipe, so feel free to add chopped vegetables to the meat mixture and/or cut back on the dry soup seasoning.
- Steak Bruschetta
- Exchange goat cheese for the Gorgonzola, leave out vinegar and dry mustard. Double basil and leave out chives, avocado, and lime. K.I.S.S. Sear meat and chop then add to chopped tomatoes with a bit of olive oil, S&P, and basil chiffonade, toast your bread with olive oil then rub some garlic clove on each piece. Smear goat cheese blend on garlic toast, top generously with steak mix.
- Buttermilk Roast Chicken
- Absolutely must let it brine for 24 hours. Allow pieces to drip dry before placing in baking vessel. Sprinkle salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne on before baking. Broil for a few minutes to crisp up top skin, but don't expect a fried chicken texture.
- Paprika Chicken
- Be sure to let sauce thicken considerably. May take 10-15 minutes. Always taste for seasoning after thickening and add more paprika, cayenne, freshly ground black pepper, and salt as needed. Delicious served over sauteed mushrooms.
- Salt Roasted Chicken
- Add a halved lemon and some fresh herb springs to the cavity before roasting.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Use a dough recipe that requires at least 90 minutes of rise/fermentation (Basic Pizza Dough from No Need to Knead.) Use smoked chicken, if you can find it, and thin sliced, raw yellow onions.
Fish and Seafood
Lamb & Pork
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Instead of plain cream cheese, mix softened cheese with TexMex cheese shred blend, and add, to taste, chili powder, onion powder, and salt. Cutting bacon lengthwise will make poppers easier to wrap, but some will be more fatty, others more meaty. Do not chop cap off, or filling will spill out completely. Carve out seed and ribs, leaving cap intact.
- Puerco Pibil
- Absolutely use freshly ground spices. Feel free to use different peppers. Do not waste money on a cheap tequila; get something silver/aged. No need to marinate or use banana leaves. Only use 5 lemons if they are ping-pong size. If lemons are closer to tennis ball size, use three. Roast 3.5 hours for optimum juiciness. Serve over rice or with warmed corn tortillas, sour cream, and lime wedges.
Pastry, Cakes, Cookies, and Desserts
- Lemon Blueberry Clafouti
- Apple Sharlokta
- If using sweet apples, like Ambrosia or Honeycrisp, reduce sugar by half.
- Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- Double Spiced Pumpkin Cake
- Double all the spices and add an additional TBS of butter. Serve with cinnamon whipped cream.
- Triple Chocolate Mexican Cookies
Side & Other Dishes
- Apple Chips
- Sugar is optional if using sweet apples, such as Ambrosia or Honeycrisp