Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Upcoming: Sweet Molasses Showdown

In preparation to create Pfeffernusse cookies, one unusual (i.e. not a kitchen staple) ingredient I needed was molasses. My mother always had a jar in the back of the baking cupboard, but it didn't come out much. My father will occasionally spread it straight on bread, but only on special occasions. After purchasing my molasses, a giant jar of it, and having been lured in by Starbuck's improved Gingerbread Latte with Molasses topping (o.m.g.) I decided I should use up the jar over the next two months. Tis the season for spicy goodies.

For this showdown, I have two cookies, two desserts, and two bread-like items. Each pairing will face off against each other, and a total victor will be decided at the end. The "winner" is totally personally subjective, but is based upon overall flavor, ease of making, and desire to make again. Stay tuned for the final results! In the future, I may attempt a savory molasses showdown as well, because unf... Cajun Molasses Ribs? Molasses Grilled Pork? *drool*

Dishes for this showdown:


Kitchen Riff's Pfeffernusse Cookies
Image Credit: Kitchen Riff

Autumn Makes & Does' Gingerbread Plum Clafouti
Image Credit: Autumn Makes & Does

Cbsop's Brown Soda Bread with Molasses
Image Credit: Cbsop

Oxmoor House's Gingerbread Scones with Lemon Glaze
Image Credit: Oxmoor House

Grandma's Molasses' Hermit Cookies
Image Credit: Grandma's Molasses

The Kitchn's Dark Molasses Gingerbread Cake

Image Credit: The Kitchn

No comments:

Post a Comment